Also known as hyperlocal marketing, ‘Proximity Marketing’ involves targeting potential consumers with personalized adverts based on how near a consumer (or device) is to a specific location and enticing them to make a purchase decision in the immediate future. It involves the design of services, apps and communication to interact with customers when they are in close proximity to a specific location, store or an item.
Via the Wi-fi or Bluetooth signal, proximity marketers can send content that’s similar to a mobile application program (app) that appears automatically on the mobile devices of consumers. While the audience is limited to those in the proximity of the business and those using its Wi-fi or Bluetooth signal, the message is very user friendly and reaches those most likely to visit a store.
Any business or service that is operating from a fixed location can implement a proximity marketing strategy. Some examples include:
- Retailers can send store maps, discounts, coupons, offers or rewards programs to customers passing nearby
- Hotels can inform guests about on-site events and promotions or can offer to enroll them in loyalty or rewards programs.
- Restaurants can send special menus/daily specials, coupons, offers for loyalty programs, or perhaps send trivia questions or other games to help customers pass the time while they wait for their table to be ready.
- Travel hubs such as airports and public transportation centers can provide maps or display ads that can be sold to local tourist destinations.
- General information about a product or service can be delivered through proximity marketing even if the fixed location of the business or service agency changes.
There are many benefits of proximity marketing, so much so that proximity marketing is 16 times more effective than Google Pay per click! From easy geotargeting to improve app engagement and improved customer retention, proximity marketing has a sure shot for increase in business.
Geotargeting Is Easy With Proximity Marketing: Just pick a precise location wherein when someone enters, exits or lingers within that geofence, a push notification is sent to that person’s mobile. These notifications can include discounts, offers, coupons etc.
Helps You Gain A Competitive Edge: By creating an interactive environment for your customers, not only will this help engage them and retain them, but it will give your brand a competitive edge.
Gives You Immediate Conversions: A proximity marketing campaign will help you with immediate conversion goals. With proximity campaigns, you can tap customers who are closest to your brand.
Proximity Marketing = A Personalized Experience: Personalization is a key aspect to any customer experience. In retail, for example, with proximity marketing, not only can businesses send personalized messages to potential customers, but at the same time, the store staff can be alerted if a loyal customer walks in, enabling them to offer the best in-store experience to loyal customers.
Proximity marketing isn’t just limited to mobile devices, wearables can also receive notifications. With soo many smart devices around us, Proximity Marketing is here to stay. So, if you are seeking new ways to gain a competitive edge, it’s time you explored proximity marketing.